Success for the Silver Band
Neil Price, Co-Editor
| March 31, 2010: The West of England Regional contest on March 13th 2010 was once again a massive day for the Band.
Competing against 19 other bands at the English Riviera Centre in Torquay they came away with 2nd place and an Invitation to the National Brass Band Championships of Great Britain which will be held at the International Conference Centre in Harrogate on September 26th 2010. The day consisted of 2 Rehearsals before taking to the stage late in the day to give a very confident performance with superb solo playing noted by the adjudicators, this was also well received by a large appreciative crowd that had come in to listen to our performance, also heard within the Arena was some rather loud....whooping!!
The hard work that Robin Wonnacott and David Hayward have both put in has brought the band it's best contest result to date.....well at least until the finals we hope!! Everyone was over the moon with the excellent result and celebrated well into the night after returning to Hatherleigh.
The hard work now starts to raise the funds to enable the band to travel to Yorkshire to represent 'The West of England' and more importantly the name of 'Hatherleigh'.
The Band will have the furthest distance to travel to compete against the best bands in the country in the finals later this year. Everyone will now be using the recent results as foundations to build on and work towards a great result in Harrogate.
Adjudicators: Stan Lippeatt & Jappie Dijkstra
1. Test Valley Brass (Steve Large), 7*
2. Hatherleigh Silver (Dave Hayward), 16*
3. Downton (Roland Wright), 20*
4. A W Parker (Drybrook) (Kevin White), 2
5. Shanklin Town Brass (M Lewis), 17
6. Wight Brass (Alan Ingram), 6
7. New Forest Brass (Richard Sharp), 8
8. Swindon Brass (Francis Cowley), 19
9. Totnes (Steve Young), 5
10. Launceston Town (Dave Dobson), 18
11. Bratton Silver (Maria Fricker), 11
12. Marshfield (John Griffin), 1
13. Okehampton Excelsior Silver (Des Law), 12
14. Verwood 'B' (Trevor Naughton), 14
15. Spinnaker Brass (Gordon Leask), 15
16. Wilton & District (Colin Herbert), 4
17. Porthleven Town (F E Ralph), 3
18. Lostwithiel Town (Denzil Stephens), 13
19. Chalford Academy (Steve Tubb), 9
20. Cheltenham Silver (Rob Folland), 10
*Top 3 bands qualify for Harrogate