Mayor's reply re-potboilers below
Neil Price, Co-Editor
| September 11, 2017: Clare Tyson, Mayor of Hatherleigh Writes
In light of the letter last month which hailed criticism on the Hatherleigh Moor Management Committee (HMMC) I would like to state my support and appreciation for the HMMC and wish it to be known with a few facts that have been missed amongst the flurry of pound signs.
1. The Constitution does not mention at all that if potboilers don’t graze animals or collect their gorse for fuel that they should be entitled to remuneration of any kind.
2. The introduction of money came about through government schemes to support farmers. If you’re not a registered farmer you’re not entitled to claim diddly squat.
3. Only ‘active’ farmers can submit claims for government money for grazing animals on common land. Information is easily available on the internet.
4. Whatever medieval rights were once held for potboilers the legislation in the 21st century means that only 'active' registered farmers are qualified to claim on common land.
5. If any potboiler wishes to qualify for this entitlement they are perfectly within their rights to register as a farmer, buy stock and graze a herd on the moor - Defra rules withstanding.
6. I understand that the moor farmers could claim far more for themselves if they claimed individually, but they choose not to, instead choosing to pool the money to maximise the claim and bring benefit for the upkeeping of the moor into the future.
With government cutbacks and reduction in services who knows what the future holds and with a healthy pot of money Hatherleigh's organisations can feel assured that if the HMMC continues to operate as it has done in the past then we should count ourselves fortunate.
Without these handful of 'active farmers' entitled to claim money and who then pass on some of their entitlement to support local causes, Hatherleigh's many many groups and organisations would not have received such helpful donations which in turn the community as a whole has benefited from. A fact that the person/s involved (in what seems to be a campaign of trying to discredit the HMMC) is repeatedly missing.
Thank you Moor Management Committee.
Non Potboiling, non farming Mayor of Hatherleigh